So it has been quite a few weeks that I wrote anything. Over this period of time, I have been busy balancing school and jazz as a senior in high school. Working hard to finish my last semester of high school, I have found it quite challenging yet it has been going by very quickly. Since I last shared my thoughts here, “Jazz in Perspective” has spread around the web. My article on Walter Smith III was featured on Nextbop.com, a blog dedicated to showcasing the next generation of jazz artists. Check out my post “Artist Spotlight: Walter Smith” on Nextbop.
In addition, the “Jazz in Perspective” has been listed on many jazz websites and blogs like All About Jazz, Elements of Jazz, the Jazzerati, and JazzTimes. You can also find “Jazz in Perspective” on Facebook and Twitter.
Lastly, just recently, I performed with the Valley Christian High School Jazz Ensemble and the Valley Christian Jazz Combo at the 2011 Folsom Jazz Festival. This festival gathers some of the top groups in Northern California to compete. Lately, the festival has been drawing in well-known artists and clinicians like the Sacramento Jazz Orchestra, Brian Lynch, University of North Texas One O’Clock Lab Band, and Kevin Bryan (lead trumpet for Harry Connick Jr.). Check out these videos of my performances at the festival below.
Two Heads One Pillow by Gerald Clayton, Arranged by Ian Fong
D Train (aka D Tran)
Stay tune for more posts here on “Jazz in Perspective”. I am currently writing a bunch of new articles that I hope to post soon in the next few weeks. In the meantime, here are some recommended upcoming jazz concerts going on in February at some of the most famous jazz venues.
Yoshi’s Jazz Club-Oakland
- February 08-09: Kenny Garrett Quartet
Village Vanguard-New York
- February 01-06: Aaron Goldberg Quartet
- February 08-13: Chris Potter Trio
- February 15-20: David Sanchez Quartet
- February 01-05: Saxophone Summit (Joe Lovano, Dave Liebman, and Ravi Coltrane)
The Jazz Standard-New York
- February 15th: Seamus Blake Quartet
The Blue Note
- February 14-16: McCoy Tyner Trio
- February 19th-Justin Brown (featuring Taylor Eigsti, Mark Shim, and special guest Ambrose Akinmusire)
- February 21st-Kendrick Scott “Oracle”, featuring Mike Moreno
- February 24-27: Robert Glasper Experiment
If you know of any great jazz performances happening in the next month, feel free to leave a comment with the date of the performance and the group playing.